The ICC Men’s ODI Cricket World Cup 2023 is being held in India. The 13th edition of the ODI Cricket World Cup began on October 5 and the grand final is scheduled on November 19 at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Indian batters are leading a successful stint of Team India in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 as two of the top batters in the most-runs list are Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma.
Expectedly, there’s considerable interest among fans to find out which of the 10 competing teams will eventually walk away with the coveted trophy but more stats-savvy cricket enthusiasts will also keep a keen eye on the top performers from the tournament, particularly which player scores the most runs in Cricket World Cup 2023.
World Cup 2023 Top Scorer:
- Virat Kohli (354): Virat Kohli has been in a phenomenal run at the World Cup, he has scored 354 runs with an excellent average of 118. He has bagged one century in the match against Bangladesh.
- Rohit Sharma (311): India captain placed second in the run-scorers chart. He has the highest score of 131 against Afghanistan. He has an average of 62 in the tournament so far.
- Mohammad Rizwan (302): Pakistan Mohammad Rizwan succeeded in listing himself in the top batters list. The Pakistani opener has provided solid base to his team with an outstanding average of 75. He has the highest knock of unbeaten 131 so far in the tournament.
- Rachin Ravindra (290): Young batter Rachin Ravindra impressed everyone with his form in the World Cup. He has scored two half-centuries in the tournament and 123* runs century.
- Daryl Mitchell (268): Another kiwi batter Daryl Mitchell made it to the list with his blistering batting in the ICC World Cup. He has smashed a ton and a fifty with an average of 89. He has the highest knock of 130 in the match against India.
Previous World Cup Editions’ Highest Run Scorers:
In the history of the World Cup competition, Sachin Tendulkar leads the all-time scoring charts with 2278 from the 45 matches he played across six editions of the tournament. Behind him in the top five are Ricky Ponting (1743), Kumar Sangakkara (1532), Brian Lara (1225), and AB de Villiers (1207). Tendulkar also holds the record for most runs in a single edition of the World Cup (673) in the 2003 tournament.
In the 2019 edition of the tournament, India’s Rohit Sharma was the leading run-scorer with 648 runs in nine outings. During his run, Sharma would score a record five tons, more than any other batter in one World Cup. The Indian captain now has seven centuries in his overall World Cup tally, which takes him past Sachin Tendulkar. Behind him in the runs tally for the tournament hosted in England were David Warner (647), Shakib Al Hasan (606), Kane Williamson (578) and Joe Root (556).